Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
Our eVTOL vehicle designs represent the state-of-the-art in this new industry segment. We are looking for an experienced Loads Engineer who will relish the challenge of developing new standards and methods in the field through a fusion of applying their expertise in established aerospace processes and the new and innovative approaches that this novel space demands.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Developing and updating the vehicle loads catalogue.
- Generating static and dynamic external loads with tools of varying fidelity based on programme requirements and phases.
- Managing and supporting external service providers for loads derivation.
- Steering and contributing to the development of robust methods and tools for static and dynamic external loads analysis.
- Leading validation and verification strategy for flight and ground loads.
- Demonstrating compliance of novel designs to emerging aerospace specifications.
- Conducting a wide variety of analysis in your field to support colleagues, suppliers and partner organisations to deliver on objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering or other relevant discipline.
- Significant demonstrable experience in the derivation of static and dynamic external loads in a relevant aerospace industrial environment.
- Ability to apply your knowledge to small vehicles of novel design and operational characteristics.
- Understanding of typical flight characteristics of fixed and rotary wing air vehicles.
- Significant knowledge and experience of the processes and requirements relevant to the certification of aircraft, e.g. EASA CS23, C27 etc.
- Knowledge of propeller/helicopter blade loads, aeroelasticity, structural dynamics and rotor dynamics.
- Held a position of responsibility for certification activities in an approved aircraft design organisation.
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills and an ability to clearly communicate conclusions from large and complex datasets.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a small, motivated team.
- Flexibility and interest to work in other associated Flight Physics fields when the needs arise.
- Previous involvement in test programmes for aircraft loads validation.
- Proficiency in MATLAB and Excel.
- Experience with mid-fidelity aerodynamic modelling tools such as XFoil and AVL.
- Familiarity with FE modelling, RANS CFD and/or rotary-wing loads software (CHARM, CAMRAD II, Flightlab).