Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We are currently going through an exciting expansion period as we prepare for the first flight of our electric Vertical Take-Off and Landing (eVTOL) vehicle and certification beyond. We’re looking for a Senior Thermodynamics Engineer to build an aircraft-level capability in the domain and to integrate thermal aspects across the aircraft systems and structure.
As structural, battery and propulsion design and technology advance, the successful candidate will demonstrate the capabilities and thought processes which will result in utilising every drop of energy on the aircraft in the most effective way.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience of integrating thermal activities across the whole vehicle in the aerospace field. They will have built-up optimised and new processes, methods and tools to support vehicle requirement definition, development, test and certification. They will be experienced users of analytical tools and fully understand the limitations and opportunities associated with all domain methodologies.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Identifying and implementing tools, processes and methods which will lead to a thermally optimised vehicle design.
- Developing technical requirements and planning/executing analyses in support of those requirements, as well as verification and validation of those requirements.
- Integrating thermal activities across the vehicle through a thorough understanding of thermal interfaces between systems and structure, as well as aircraft-level considerations. For example zonal temperature analysis.
- Conducting a wide variety of analyses in the field to support colleagues, suppliers and partner organisations to deliver on objectives.
- Researching and preparing for additional environmental protection means and cabin comfort elements on the certification product. For example ice protection and cabin ventilation.
- At least 10 years of applicable experience in an aircraft manufacturing environment
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant Engineering field
- Expert knowledge of Thermodynamics and how it is applied and relevant to civil aircraft design
- Good knowledge of tools and methods in the field, such that you can identify capability gaps and lead the implementation of means to address those gaps
- Held a position of responsibility for certification activities in an approved aircraft design organisation or sign-off approval is preferred
- Experience in thermal management of powertrain and energy storage systems is desirable
- Ability to apply your knowledge to small vehicles of novel design and operational characteristics
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills and an ability to clearly communicate conclusions from large and complex datasets
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a small, motivated team
- Ability to lead an aircraft-level approach across thermal activities in multiple departments
- A knowledge of the aircraft certification process is preferred.